The highly-anticipated fifth edition of Art New York returns to Pier 94 Thursday, May 2 through Sunday, May 5 during the height of New York’s art and cultural season.
The fair will kick off with an elegant, invitation-only VIP Preview on Thursday May 2 at 2pm before the fair opens to the public at 5pm. Art New York will showcase noteworthy and fresh works by important artists from the contemporary, modern, post-war and pop eras, and will feature paintings, photography, prints, drawings, design and sculptures presented by nearly 300 artists represented by 70 international galleries across 50 cities in 18 countries.
The fair also includes CONTEXT, a platform for a selection of new and established contemporary galleries to showcase emerging, mid-career and cutting-edge talent.
Art New York provides a fresh alternative for new and established collectors, curators, museum professionals and art world luminaries to discover and acquire a carefully-curated, content-rich presentation of investment quality artworks from both the primary and secondary markets including KAWS, RETNA, Pablo Atchugarry, Jean Michel Basquiat, Fernando Botero, George Condo, Salvador Dali, Jean Dubuffet, Willem de Kooning, Shepard Fairey, Keith Haring, Damien Hirst, Robert Indiana, Roy Lichtenstein, Robert Longo, Francisco Masó, Henri Matisse, Joan Miró, Pablo Picasso, Richard Prince, Frank Stella, Robert Rauschenberg, and Andy Warhol. Galleries at Art New York have previously exhibited at Art Miami, Art Basel, Design Miami, The Armory Show, Masterpiece, the Art Dealers Association of America’s The Art Show and more.
The New York Academy of Art is Art New York’s philanthropic partner and they will present an exhibition curated by Academy President David Kratz and Academy supporter Helena Christensen, that will hold its VIP Reception on Thursday May 2 between 6pm to 8pm.
The drawings, paintings and sculpture have all been created by alumni of the Academy’s MFA program including James Adelman, Tamalin Baumgarten, Joao Brandao, Dina Brodsky, Diana Corvelle, Shiqing Deng, Christian Fagerlund, Brett Harvey, Jacob Hicks, Alexis Hilliard, Sara Issakharian, Yun Jang, Lani Kennefick, Will Kurtz, Dan Pelonis, Laura Peturson, James Razko, Nicolas V. Sanchez, Stephen Shaeen, Susan Siegel, Kathy Stecko, Zeynep Tekiner, Jiannan Wu, and Zane York.
The New York Academy of Art is a nonprofit educational and cultural institution that combines intensive technical training in the fine arts with active critical discourse. Through major exhibitions, a robust lecture series, and an ambitious curriculum, the Academy serves as a creative and intellectual center for all artists dedicated to highly skilled, conceptually aware figurative and representational art. nyaa.org
Art New York will provide complimentary shuttle service between Art New York and the Frieze Ferry at East 35th Street. The Fair will allow complimentary admittance to all Frieze and TEFAF VIP cardholders.
Special Projects and Partnerships
- Dutch photographer Isabelle Van Zeijl will be at Cynthia Corbett Gallery’s booth on Friday May 3 at 5pm to sign her mini-catalogues, as well as discuss her new work making its New York debut and a few pieces making their international debut.
- Kids take Art New York! Bring your young art lovers ages four and up to The Children’s Museum of the Arts booth at Art New York to create their own works of contemporary art. Teaching artists will host one-hour sessions throughout the day, which will allow parents or caregivers to drop off their child to make art while they explore the fair. Caregivers will need to check in with the booth attendant, sign a release form with contact information, and sign out the child upon pickup. Please RSVP to email@example.com with your preferred date and time slot in order to guarantee a spot. The remainder of the spots will be available on a first-come-first-serve basis. The one hour sessions will be held at the following times: Thursday, May 2 – 3pm, 4:30pm, and 6pm; Friday, May 3 – 3pm, 4:30pm, and 6pm; Saturday, May 4 – 12pm, 1:30p, 3pm, 4:30pm, and 6pm; Sunday, May 5 – 12pm, 1:30p, 3pm, and 4:30pm.
- Artsy will offer an intimate one-hour tour of the fair to Art New York VIPs on Saturday, May 4 at 2pm. On the tour, an Artsy Specialist will lead collectors through a selection of fair highlights, offering an in-depth look at standout booths and concluding with a champagne toast in the VIP lounge. Art New York invites you to explore more than 1,000 works from the fair on Artsy. Save your favorite pieces at the fair to a personal collection, follow artists, and connect directly with exhibitors to request pricing and availability. artsy.net/art-newyork-2019.
- Artika Artists’ Books is the publishing house from Barcelona that specializes in Limited Editions works created in conjunction with great international artists and produced using painstaking artisan processes that make every copy a unique and unrepeatable piece. Art New York visitors will have the chance to discover book creations that invite you to discover the essence of Fernando Botero and Jaume Plensa. Both of these Limited and Numbered Edition works are created in collaboration and personally supervised by the artists. To learn more, please visit www.artikabooks.com
- Taglialatella Galleries presents the Jerkface Interactive 360-Degree Photo Booth: An enclosed, immersive experience of art by Jerkface, which allows the viewer to step inside one of the artist’s larger-than-life murals.
- Elyx Mobile Bar and Lounge in Art New York: Inspired by the success of other immersive brand experiences like the Elyx House LA, Absolut Elyx has created a mobile bar to bring the Elyx Experience to Art New York. The Elyx Mobile Bar enables the brand to educate consumers on this luxury vodka while utilizing the Elyx copper serving rituals. The Elyx Mobile Bar lounge will showcase the brand’s unique brand aesthetic while creating a memorable experience. Elyx will be the host at a lounge during Art New York for an oasis away from the rest of the fair. Guests will be able to grab a cocktail and relax while enjoying all that Art New York has to offer.
“Art New York presents a rejuvenated platform to present the finest selection of contemporary, modern, post-war and pop art alongside our CONTEXT platform with emerging, mid-career and cutting-edge talents,”
said Julian Navarro, Co-Director, Art New York.
“Following last season’s redesign, our revitalized ambience and amenities will continue to present a fresh and inspired perspective that will provide our collectors with a premier experience.”
2019 ART NEW YORK EXHIBITOR LIST
Adelson Cavalier Galleries | Palm Beach; Ai Bo Gallery | New York; Alpha 137 Gallery | New York; Andrea Schwartz Gallery | San Francisco; ART DESIGN GALLERY | Guéthary; Art of the World Gallery | Houston; Atelier Newport | Newport; Avant Gallery | Miami; Blue Gallery* | Delray Beach; BOCCARA ART | New York; BOGÉNA GALERIE | Saint Paul De Vence; C. Grimaldis Gallery | Baltimore; Chase Contemporary |New York; Chief & Spirits* | The Hague; Clark Priftis Art | Seattle; Connect Contemporary | Atlanta; Cynthia Corbett Gallery | London; DEAN PROJECT | Miami Beach; DMD Contemporary | New York; Donghwa Ode Gallery | New York; Durban Segnini Gallery | Miami; Eternity Gallery | Miami; Franklin Bowles Gallery | New York; FREDERIC GOT | Paris; Fremin Gallery | New York; Galería Casa Cuadrada* | Bogotá D.C.; Galeria de Babel | Sao Paulo; Galerie Brésil | Sao Paulo; Galerie Isabelle Lesmeister | Regensburg; Galleria Ca’ d’Oro | New York; Gallery Henoch | New York; Gama Gallery | Istanbul; HAVOC Gallery* | Burlington; Hazelton Galleries | Toronto; JoAnne Artman Gallery |* New York; Juan Silió Gallery* | Santander; Kahn Gallery* | London; LICHT FELD Gallery | Basel; Lilac Gallery* | New York; Liquid art system | Capri; Liss Gallery | Toronto; Lucia Mendoza* | Madrid; Mark Hachem | Paris; Markowicz Fine Art | Miami; Martinelli Art Gallery | Lodi; Masterworks Fine Art Gallery | Oakland; N2 Galería* | Barcelona; NG Art Gallery | Panama; Nikola Rukaj Gallery | Toronto; Okay Spark* | Norfolk; Onessimo Fine Art | Palm Beach Gardens; Oxholm Gallery | Copenhagen; Quidley & Company |Nantucket; Raphael | Frankfurt; Raw Space Art Gallery* | New York; Rebecca Hossack Art Gallery* | London; Roka Art Gallery | Padova; Rosenfeld Gallery | New York; RUDOLF BUDJA GALLERY | Miami Beach; Samuel Owen Gallery | Greenwich; Simons Gallery | The Hague; SmithDavidson Gallery | Miami; STATE | London; Steidel Contemporary* | Palm Beach; Taglialatella Galleries | New York; The Lawley Art Group | Dallas; The Selects Gallery* | New York; Vallarino Fine Art | New York; VK Gallery* | Amsterdam; Vogelsang Gallery | Brussels; Waterhouse & Dodd | New York; Winn Slavin Fine Art | Beverly Hills; Winterowd Fine Art | Santa Fe; Zemack Contemporary Art | Tel Aviv.
SPONSORS AND PARTNERS
Art New York’s Exclusive Vodka Sponsor is Absolut Elyx. Art New York’s Exclusive Gin Sponsor is Monkey 47. Cultural Partners include: New York Academy of Art, Artika, ArtTable, Children’s Museum of the Arts, The Bass Museum, Bronx Museum, Brooklyn Museum, Bruce Museum, Public Art Fund, Neue Galerie NYC, Dwight School, Perez Art Museum, The Cultivist, Christie’s Education in NY, German Consulate General New York, Consul General of Sweden, Consulate General of Australia, Consulate General of Austria, Consul General of Brazil, Institute of Contemporary Art Miami, Jamaica Center for Arts and Learning, Nightingale-Bamford School, Pierpont Morgan Library, Parrish Art Museum, Junior Associates of MoMa, Whitney Museum, Whitney Young Collectors, Magazzino Italian Art Foundation, MoMa PS1, Hyphen Hub, Sotheby’s Preferred, Sotheby’s Institute of Art, The National Arts Club, Big Screen Plaza, The Noguchi Museum, The Watermill Center, Performa Arts, IVY, and Norwood Club. Media partners include: (t)here Magazine, Art 21, Art News, Art Nexus, Art+ Magazine, Artnet, ARTSY, Avenue, Create! Magazine, Culture Shock Media, Dow Jones, Manhattan Magazine, NY Social Diary, Observer, Private Air Magazine, Quest Magazine, TAX Collection, Venü, Wall Street Journal and Whitewall.
HOURS AND LOCATION
- Fair Hours: VIP Preview: Thursday, May 2: 2pm – 5pm; General Admission: Thursday, May 2: 5pm – 8pm; Friday, May 3 – Saturday May 4: 12pm – 8pm; Sunday May 5: 12pm – 6pm
- Location: Pier 94 is located on the Hudson River in the Passenger Ship Terminal complex at West 55th Street and Westside Highway, 20 blocks north of the Chelsea gallery district and just west of Columbus Circle.
• Frieze NY and TEFAF New York VIP Cardholders receive complimentary access to Art New York. TRANSPORTATION
• Parking: Public parking facilities are available along 12th Avenue and throughout the neighboring vicinity.